, , , ,

View All Posts


July 03, 2006

Waldo vs. Wanda

A bit of new data: Waldo won.

We noted back in May that Drew received stem cells from the cord blood of two babies - one a girl from St. Louis and another from a boy from North Carolina. Since stem cells are immature when donated from cord blood, gender and blood type don't matter, just the other factors that go into matching donors to patients. Being a full sized adult, Drew received two donor cells, since this new procedure has shown it greatly increased the odds of a successful transplant. Since no one can predict which one yet, Drew got both samples.

We had already started the jokes and kidding with Drew about the consequences of girl stem cells (none, but that didn't stop us). The news is that, despite enjoying the "A Fish Named Wanda" fun, the girl cells didn't win. Since Drew was a part of a clinical trial on this new procedure, the Duke team tested his growing bone marrow and confirmed that the transplant worked, and 87% of Drew's stem cells were the boy's (we never named him, but Waldo will have to do), 2% were Wanda's, and the rest was his residual bone marrow. His last few days of blood tests indicated increasing production of platlets and white blood cells. The Waldo cells would have eventually become 100%.

We again thank the anonymous parents who donated the cells, and we know that Drew's experience is inspiring several other families to donate as their babies are born. His successful transplant will contribute to the body of knowledge on cancer research, and we are confident we will hear about others being successfully treated as cord blood donations increase. That feels good.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 2:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

love you so much...everytime you hear a firework tomorrow, that's drew celebrating his pain free new life :) waldo, wanda, whatever, YOU WON, and so did drew - thinking of you -

alli

 
At 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i guess Alli was right... boys are better than girls (in this case)... way to go Waldo... what a great learning experience for all of us... love to all, susie and family

 
At 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Team Llewellyn.
Pure anger! Yes this one is intense, please ride it intensely. I know from experience that it will help eventually calm you somewhat and let you accept the situation as a whole.
This anger, as you know by now, will not be anger against anyone or anything, but it will be deep anger- why Drew, why him??? Why us??? Because now, no one and nothing will ever be as it was before. All the closeness with all that this has brought, - why was Drew not allowed to be part of it???
Many questions and no answers!
The 5 stages of grief, --- wish all of you would not have to go through it, but it is a natural process and not really controllable and another thing we just have to go through.
“It will get easier with time” an expression I don’t like, because I don’t think that “easier” is the right word and you may find the word fitting for you someday.

I wish all of you the very best and that the new children in your family will brighten your days and occupy your life with joy.

 
At 7:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you all have had a good 4th of July. I have found the information you have passed on extremely interesting. It is beause of parents like you that cures will be found and there will be many celebrations.
Still praying for team L,
Judy

 
At 9:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have not posted many notes for you, but I always think of you, please take care of yourselves. Love you,

Pilar

 
At 9:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Llewellyn Family,
My name is Drew Edwards, and I was Drew's music teacher at Hyde. I had only just heard today about his struggle and his passing. I wanted to let you know that I am deeply saddened by this loss, and that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family tonight as you continue the healing process. Drew was incredibly talented, both on the field and with a guitar. I admired his work ethic and his effortless leadership qualities. This is an incredibly devastating thing, and I admire you for your candid writing and your tireless work on his behalf. Truly an inspiration. All the best.
-Drew.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home