, , , ,

View All Posts


June 26, 2006

Keeping in touch

We haven't forgotten about the blog. Given the number of people still checking each day, neither have you. So a few comments.

Given our never-boring life, we always brought in the family and friend events that added smiles to our day. Today was the latest report on future grandchild - a great report and a graphic sonogram of the little one due in November. Meanwhile, Westbrook is growing and thriving and still incredibly cute.

We had hoped to have a bit of news on closing up one loose end - the results of the biopsy that will tell us exactly why Drew's brainstem stopped working. We don't really need to know, and we don't expect to be surprised, and we will have no regrets regardless of the answer, since at least one smart doctor supports each of the theories the biopsy is meant to confirm.

We will have no regrets if it was the cancer returning (could any cancer survive all the chemo and radiation and the transplant and hospital food?) since there was nothing else left to try. We will have no regrets if it was a stroke (nasty luck, but clots are always a risk of medical procedures, and daily life) so we could only shake our heads. We will have no regrets if it was infection (the primary risk to the transplant - the only chance he had left) since everyone looked at his IV pole and marvelled at how any infection could ever survive that many antibiotics. We still want to know, but .....well, just to know. And maybe knowing will put one more bit of learning in the books for future patients.

Meanwhile, we continue to be overwhelmed by support. We continue to catch up with folks just getting the news, and folks who have finally gotten the nerve to write us with stories and kind words. We have gotten some real laughs and real cries out of some long notes and stories. His first girlfriend, in the fifth grade, maintained that Drew was a gentleman despite the fact that she wouldn't let him kiss her. His football coach from Hyde touched us with his views of Drew learning football (even learning to put on the pads) and promises to use his story in inspiring the team this year. We are far from alone as parents losing a child, and many others have shared their stories and given encouragement. We continue to hear from strangers who knew us only from the blog but act like family members in their concern and interest. And we even got dinner last night from friends who are aware that the pain doesn't go away quickly.

And, by the way, the pain doesn't go away quickly.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 7:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Llewellyn family, it's been three years this September and there is still pain. That part will never go away, it just becomes apart of your body and everyday life. There will always be a whole in your heart. But that's where "Drew" lives and you wouldn't want it any other way. Thinking of you each day and praying for strength in Each New Day... love to all, susie and family

 
At 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like you have another super-cute grandchild! Congrats again, Melissa!

Regarding your loss, I can't imagine how that pain feels and I pray everyday that with that pain, some comfort finds you.

Take Care

 
At 10:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There isn't a day that goes by that I don't check the blog. I check it now, to feel close to a family that I have loved since childhood, that has inspired me and wishing we could have lived closer and known each other better and as cousins grown up together. I look forward to the new additions to our "Chandler" family and continue to grow thru your inspirations and learn how to be a great parent and try really hard to teach my children as you have taught yours!

You must keep us updated on Melissa's pregnancy as she won't get a "blog".. LOL..

Love, Hugs, Kisses, daily thoughts & prayers,
Cousin Christy

 
At 10:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jane and the Llewellyn Family,
Your posts continue to inspire me.
Emily and I lost our twin girls Martha and Polly the year before we came to work at Hyde, and even though God blessed us with Jacob and Anna in 2000, the pain of 1997 and that Christmas will never go away it will only heal more as the days and years go by.
Drew's spirit lives on and as the new kids roll into Summer Challenge here in Woodstock next week I will use his life as an example for the kids that say"I Can't!" They can and they WILL because they are physically capable.
I am so happy to see that another grandchild will be entering your lives! Enjoy the joy of new life and honor Drew with the will to carry on and live each day to the fullest.
Peace
God Bless
Dan Murphy

 
At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have heard a rumor that the pain never goes away- The good news is that as time passes- functioning becomes more bearable. There is support in the community- KinderMourn has helped lots and lots of folks learn to bear the pain. Hospice also has very good resources and grief groups/counseling. The challenges life offers....

 
At 4:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also check the blog every day in case there is an update, and also just to go back and read old posts. I know it was important to Drew that he leave a mark, and I want you to know he HAS. I think of Drew every day and I always will. He will never be forgotten.

 
At 10:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drew is gone, but not forgotten in the hearts and lives of many...thanks to your blog in keeping us close to you and to Drew. Love and prayers are with you all as days pass and your family grows in numbers and memories.
Pam & Charles

 

Post a Comment

<< Home