This may hurt a little bit
How often did we hear the medical teams say that to Drew: “this may hurt a little bit…”
“I have a little tape to pull off…”
“Just a little stick…”
“You may feel a little pressure…”
“You won’t feel the drill going in much at all…”
That’s how this week is going…every few minutes, it hurts a little bit.
When we try to erase some pictures on the camera – Drew or Westbrook?
When you listen to old voicemails and one is from Drew.
When you call for Ben but say Drew almost every time.
When every drawer you open has something that makes you remember a moment in the hospital.
When you wash his clothes, pick up his belongings from school, stop by the bank, call the insurers, open the mail.
When you wake up every night at 3:30 a.m., the same time they called you to come back to the hospital.
When you remember another funny story you wish you had told when you had an audience, and you wonder where to write it down.
When you find the list of stories you wrote down yesterday.
When you think of someone you missed telling, and you call them and they don’t answer. Or they do.
When you say one of a thousand phrases that have a slightly different meaning now – four kids; family vacation; Drew’s birthday; got cancer; Drew’s room; my brother; my boys.
This may hurt a little bit.
Labels: Remembering Drew
13 Comments:
Oh Jane! No parent should have to go through this pain! It's not fair....someday it will be easier, I hope, but you will have a great gap in your life from now on. But fill that gap with Drew's spirit and memories and knowing that he's not suffering anymore.
I wish I could give you a big hug!
Love
Kim (Melbourne)
I just wanted to let you know that your family is in my prayers. I check this blog daily, sometimes hoping the story will rewrite itself. As a mom, I ache at the thought of losing a child. As a friend, I have a heavy heart from grief. I hope that comfort finds it's way to you somehow and that the little hurts are somehow assuaged. *Hugs*
Lora Denton & family
I am so sorry for the pain you are feeling. It is so raw right now and will be for awhile. Be patient with yourselves. I am so sorry for missing Drew's celebration on Saturday. As I prepared for my daughters graduation celebration....Drew and Team Lewellyn were on my mind. I plan to send a balloon message to Drew this week and I do want to share that my niece who is due to have a baby, will be donating her baby's cord blood in memory of Drew. Drew's legacy will most definately continue on. May God Bless you all and continue to raise this burden of sorrow from you. Take Care, Robin Buttrey
came across a quote and thought of you...
"when you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight."
**i know that is so VERY little but y'all and drew had an amazing last year together...who else honestly knows as much and is as close to their 23 year old son as you - keep holding tight to the good - the hurt and the pain can do NOTHING to you, it will never come close to touching the joy drew brought you - i love you guys so much and think about you every minute of the day...hang in there - you know drew is smiling at you right now..
~alli
"What the caterpiller calls the end of the world, the master calls a butterfly" (Richard Bach)
Wish I was there to give you a hug too ... my thoughts are with you again today ... love, Jill G.
Some days you just get through hour by hour. Some days are better. Tape those voicemails of Drew's. One of the sweetest gifts I got this past Christmas was when my mother found an old tape of Nick and Megan - it was so wonderful to hear those voices - I had forgotten what he sounded like. Anytime you think of a story you forgot to tell -- put it on the blog - we love sharing with you. Unfortunately there is no pain medication for you -- but know that you are loved, prayed for and surrounded by angels. One of your greatest blessings you reminded us of yesterday - is that all of you gave it 100% - no regrets. Lifting you up and praying that God eases your sorrow. Much love, D.
hang on in there Jane, the hurt will ease and the wonderful memories will remain and what wonderful ones you all have! Big hugs, love to Benny, talk tomorrow if I get the Math right.. you know I'm blonde (and I live in Oz so can say that!). Luv Rhonda
it hurts a lot...
figure out how to save the voice mail-the pain is worse when the voice mail is lost...
take care of yourselves-
Hang in there, Team Llewellyn. Big Hugs to you all from So Boston. My heart aches with you but keeping the faith that the pain will soon heal over time. There just aren't words to discribe my respect for you all. Your memories will get you thru.
God Bless you all and we will talk soon.
Love
Christy
Oh, I wish I could soothe that empty place in your heart! After my brother died (not even my son!) it hurt BIG, and then just when I thought I had a handle on it, another reminder of him brought on the little hurts. Eventually those "memory hurts" turned into "memory glitter". Wishing you glitter!
jane, i read an e-mail today and thought of you immediately... i wanted to share parts of it with you.....
When God made woman he spent hours and hours overtime on her..... She had to be completely washable, but not plastic, have over 200 movable parts, all replaceable and able to run on diet coke and leftovers. Have a lap that can hold four children at the same time and have a kiss that can cure everything from a scraped knee to a broken heart..... Incredible, you say, listen to what her heart can do..... Woman can bear hardships and they carry burdens but they hold happiness, love and joy. They smile when they want to scream, they sing when they want to cry. They cry when they are happy and laugh when they are nervous. They fight for what they believe in and stand up to justice. .... They Love "unconditionally. They cry when their children excel and cheer when their friends get awards. They are happy when they hear about a birth or a wedding and their hearts break when a friend or loved one dies. Yet they are strong when they think there is no strength left. They know that a hug and a kiss can heal a broken heart. Woman come in all shapes, sizes and colors. They will drive, fly, walk, run or e-mail you to show how much they care about you. The heart of a woman is what makes the world keep turning. They bring joy, hope and love. They have compassion and ideals. They give moral support to their family and friends. Woman have vital things to say and everything to give. The only flaw in woman is that they forget their Worth......
Jane, you have it in you because God put it there.... You are an amazing woman.. Keep the Faith!!! I LOVE YOU, dearly, susie
Team Llewellyn
You are in so many prayers daily and are thought about every minute. Use your family, your "TEAM", to pull through the pain. Drew left so many happy memories with so many people and you were all given the oppurtunity to spend a little more time together which is not always easy, even under tough circumstances. Use the blog to tell your loved one's the pain you all feel. Let Ben know that he is in my thoughts daily and if he would like to get together with some of his pre-school and BW friends we are here for him and would LOVE to get together!!
You are all in my prayers!
jackie maloomian
I still check your blog compulsively several times a day. I think this is my way of dealing with long distance grief.Thanks for writing this as it made me feel like I was part of the process and even after all these years that I know Drew and all of you better than before this happened.
I have known intense grief far too many times in my life. It always feels the same. It always lessens. It never completely goes away but you learn to absorb the part that lingers into the everyday joys and hassles of your life.
And yes, you remember the things unsaid, even the silly ones and the stories not told. When my friend died recently, the first inane thought that hit me was "but I never got a chance to tell him my Pete Volkos story" "I think you go through life storing up little tidbits for people you think might enjoy them. I hope you got a chance to share the fun tidbits.
Continuing the blog is good therapy for me too.
Love you all and think of you daily. Love Barbara
Post a Comment
<< Home