, , , ,

View All Posts


June 18, 2006

Let's tell stories for a while

We haven't blogged for a few days. Writing the blog each night was what we did to tell Drew's story - and TeamLlewellyn's story - of our fight with cancer. It is time for us to NOT end every evening thinking about the fight.

Not that we will ever forget Drew's smile, or ever stop talking about his spirit, or ever stop laughing at Drew stories. When we stop having wet eyes several times a day, and when we start waking up at night thinking about something else but the days at Duke, life will get better. Our house and our lives are full of our children (and now grandchildren), so we will continue to think about Drew as part of a great three decades with our kids. We have thousands of pictures, video and audio, letters and drawings and trophies and countless other keepsakes to keep us smiling.

We will drop in from time to time to the blog to add a few updates, but not so often now. Please use the comment section to add more stories - we will, too. And thanks again for the overwhelming support for our family.

One last request from TeamLlewellyn: Think hard about becoming a bone marrow donor, donate blood if possible and remind the new parents to be the significance of cord donation. Drew fought hard and with passion and was able to do so because of the generous donations of others. Let's keep the opportunity to fight available for others as well!

The game IS still on.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 11:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are conitnuing the blog. I feel like I have received mail every time there is a new posting. I don't have many Drew stories to tell as he was off hanging around with his friends during most of my visits. i fel like I have gotten to know him better through the last few months through your blogs. Mostly, i remember him as a child when you had your heart surgery. And of course, Disneyland. Keep blogging and love. Barbara

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Lora said...

I only have one Drew story, since I didn't know him very well, but I think it says a lot about who he was.

My baby, Lily, and I went to see Mary give a Burt's Bees demo at a local health food store one day. Drew was there, after having battled cancer the first time. His hair was just starting to grow back, but he looked perfectly healthy...I'd have never known he was ever sick at that point. He refused to let his pregnant sister lift anything and took it upon himself to move every chair and load all her products. He also carried my pink gingham stroller and carseat :) I asked him if he was getting paid an "assistant fee" for helping out and he just laughed. You could tell he was just happy to help out his sister.

So, here was Drew, surrounded by a ton of mommies and screaming babies, talking about diaper rash and dry skin, and he looked totally calm and collected as he paid attention to his sister's speech.

I could tell that he was excited to be an uncle. He looked at Lily (who was maybe a month old at that point) and smiled at her, talking to her quietly. He remarked what a good baby she was and we laughed later when she decided to scream her head off, I told Drew that he'd jinxed us! I'm so glad that Drew got to see WB after he was born. I bet that was a special moment :)

Team Llew is in my thoughts and prayers every day, and I check this blog as often as I check my own. When I feel a little sad, I look at Westbrook pictures and I smile.

Lora Denton

 
At 11:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drew stories.... WOW, with soccer there are soooooo many but I can recall one interesting story... let's see, the boys were about, 15 years old and Dave decided to have a get together to prepare them and the parents for Regionals.... Mike and I volunteered our home. We lived on a farm and had lots of land for the boys to run around (didn't know that meant running the cows in the pasture) but anyway, Dave decided to have a brief Soccer Session on the soccer field beside our home. Well, the balls were kicked and the balls went wherever and by the end of the session there was Drew, up a tree, trying to retrieve a few balls (not even concerned about how high he was or all that interesting green stuff growing on the tree)........ The next day Jane calls me and says, well, guess that's the last time we'll be able to come for a get together @ the McCurry's.... i said what are you talking about........
That interesting green stuff was Poison Ivy..... after leaving our house that day Drew got home and spend the next day in bed and made a visit to the Pediatric's office for an injection of Benadryl or whatever they had to help with the swelling/itching he had obtained climbing that Poison Ivy filled tree....... That was soooo "Drew" but i must say "i believe he had a Great time"..... i know we did... It's Great to remember those days, Thanks..... hugs and kisses susie and family

 

Post a Comment

<< Home