, , , ,

View All Posts


July 16, 2006

Dear Mr. Bush

President George W. Bush
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
Washington, DC

Subject: Stem Cell Research


Dear President Bush,

You will have a significant domestic issue of law placed in front of you soon. In the face of the Middle East, North Korea, and Iraq issues, the domestic front may seem of lower priority. However, you have an opportunity to make a positive step in the midst of uncertainty over world events. As a voting Republican for many decades, I see this issue as an important one for our families and for defining the politics of the future.

You may see legislation passed shortly on the difficult issue of embryonic stem cell research. There are three reasons I think you should immediately send a message to the country that you will NOT veto a bill which expands research if and when passed, and support its passing.

First, the value of stem cell research has been dramatically played out for my family in the last year. One of my four children, Drew, died of lymphoma last month after a long and valiant fight. His medical team used the latest research and clinical trials, trying new drugs and techniques, but their skills were hampered by the tools available. Federal funding for stem cell research for lifesaving medicine and treatments is held back by concerns over its use, and thousands like my son die each year. Moving the process ahead will save and improve lives, as one in three Americans will have Alzheimer’s, cancer, juvenile diabetes, or other diseases which could be helped by stem cell treatments. No issue before you could touch more lives than this one, directly or through family and friends.

Second, the legacy of this issue will soon pass to someone, as medicine has overcome fears of abuse in the past, and managed those issues that arose. Early medicines and treatments and research all had years of religious and “personal freedom” debate in the past centuries, before we decided that the health of the people was the most important issue. Your legacy should not be the last president to fail to realize how important and eventual expanded stem cell research will be, and that its monitored expansion is required.

Third, as a person raised in a Southern Baptist family, I understand the importance of faith and the challenge of translating the guidance of the Bible into today’s technology issues. I look, like you, at this issue ethically as well as technically, but I see it like many facets of our life – weighing the ideal against the appropriate. Using medical waste to harvest embryo cells the size of a period on this page is not covered in the Bible, but the hundreds of cancer patients sharing the hall with my son had one common view, regardless of their religious backgrounds – if they died, use their bodies and their experiences to help other to never get this disease nor suffer through its treatment. My son’s life was prolonged and he was nearly cured, by the way, by a cord blood transplant from “adult” stem cells harvested after the healthy birth of a baby. Research produces results, and embryonic stem cells offer greater promise.

Future research can develop ways to save patients like my son. As a country, we rejoice in blood donors, organ transplants, and new treatments, and we learn to do them ethically, morally, and religiously “right”. We can do expanded stem cell research the same way.

Please think carefully on this issue, and use it as a positive move to show trust in our country's ability to lead and manage tough issues. I urge you to support eventual embryonic stem cell research rather than delay it. This is a tough issue, and changing your mind is acceptable once in a while.


Boxley Llewellyn
Parent

(Click here for the President's response - well, a recent speech - with which I disagree.)

Labels:

14 Comments:

At 7:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

RIGHT ON, BROTHER! Love, Barbara

 
At 9:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

...and why did I think my liberal Democrat sister from California would be the first to respond! Hope I made your day.

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Lora said...

You are so much nicer than I would've been...

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger M said...

Well said Daddio! I hope this letter makes it to his desk.

 
At 4:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We need more letters like this - well done son Pop

 
At 11:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful. The Senate majority leader changed his mind from his position from last year, now it can be our President's turn. Hopefully your excellent letter will be the wake-up call he needed on this issue.

 
At 11:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was a copy sent to members of the House and Senate? Sue Myrick is a cancer survivor...

 
At 9:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every year I volunteer at Camp Care, an oncology camp for children who have had or have cancer and their siblings. Camp Care was on the first week of July this year. Wednesday at camp, every year, is our memorial service. This year’s memorial service I knew would be harder for me than the previous years because of Drew. We painted rocks this year that we walked up and placed in our memorial garden during the service. I decided to dedicate my rock to you all and Drew. Our rocks will remain at Camp till next year when we all return back for yet another memorial service. I went to school at ECU with Drew and first met Drew way back when we worked at Rafferty’s of Charlotte together. Drew still is an inspiration to me daily as is your entire family. I am a child life specialist at CMC in the emergency room and there has yet to have been a day that goes by where I am not motivated to keep on going by you all. I still continue to wear my Game On bracelet with pride for Drew. He fought hard and in the end he won, he won big time because of family and friends like you. You are in my thoughts and prayers daily.
Shannon

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/teamllewellyn/album?.dir=/910bre2&urlhint=actn,ren%3as,5%3af,0

If this link does not work visit yahoo photos: sign on Teamllewellyn and password is gameon

 
At 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shannon, thanks for your comments. Jane and I have avoided commenting on comments, for fear of the volume, but folks like you who continue to add stories are really special to us these days.

On the stem cell topic, front page of the New York Times: Bush issues first veto. Oh, well, I tried. It will be reversed by the next president. At least some private organizations, seeing the need, are gathering donations to start private efforts, such as Harvard. http://www.fas.harvard.edu/home/news_and_events/releases/stemcells_03032004.html

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger J.C. said...

It is so frustrating that Bush used his first veto against such a noble cause. But, please don't give up. Keep circulating your letter. As with many things with politics, time is needed. My prayers, thoughts and votes are with you and your family.

 
At 7:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

luv u both think Pres B needs to think again! Time will tell. Looking forward to Bens arrival tomorrow, will take care of him luv Rhonda

 
At 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep on working...Team Llewellyn will make progress. I just ordered my bone marrow kit for becoming a donor, will receive it from our local center on Friday, and will immediately sign up. Can't give blood this year, they don't like red stuff that's been to Africa.

Looking for a visit from you.
Laura Lee

 
At 1:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just got my marrow donor card in the mail last week. When I saw the envelope from the Marrow Society, I got so excited that it was already my big chance to donote. Turned out to be my donor card, but I am all ready to go when the time comes! And it is all because of Drew's story.

 
At 3:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just love this letter to the president. I actually did a power point presentation on stem cell research just yesterday. It is a field I may one day very likely go into. I agree with you %100, and lives can be saved with this research, but we need the funding from the government. Thank you for speaking out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home