, , , ,

View All Posts


June 07, 2006

Drew

The blog may not be the best way to communicate to all of our faithful friends and family, but we could not call everyone today.

Drew continued to worsen overnight. It seems that Sunday night's sleep was actually part of a growing stroke forming in his brain stem. We do not know the cause, be it a blood clot, infection, or lymphoma, but the blood supply was gradually cut off to this important part of the brain which controls breathing and message routing from other parts of the brain. After Drew's brief but memorable time talking to us, he lapsed into a deep sleep, gradually losing all movement and even the ability to breathe on his own.

This morning, numerous specialists ran numerous tests and concluded that Drew had an irreversibly injured brain and was soon, by all definitions, brain dead. Prolonging his condition was fruitless, and our family gathered and agreed to remove the ventilator. Drew died today at 4:30 p.m., without pain or awareness. TeamLlewellyn was together in his final moments.

We are stunned, angry, and proud. Stunned at the speed at which the advantage turned, angry that this battle was not another victory for Drew and his team, despite lousy odds against us. Proud of the effort and hard work of everyone: family and friends and medical team.

More tomorrow on our plans to celebrate Drew's life. Thanks for your help with comments and support for these last few months.

Labels:

37 Comments:

At 11:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And celebrate we shall....as Drew would want. My heart is heavy for you all. The agony of defeat is upon us but the thrill of knowing Drew is endless. I am so sorry.

 
At 11:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My thoughts our with all of you at this time. Love to all. God Bless.

 
At 11:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jane, Boxley, & Family,
Words cannot express how sorry
we are. Our thoughts and prayers
continue to be with all of you. We
know that Drew gave his all to beat this tough opponent. We will remember him always as a vibrant,
strong young man. God bless you.
Ray, Maureen, & Raymond

 
At 12:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drew will forever be loved and missed, may he rest finally in peace.

 
At 12:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jane & Boxley:

Through the blog I have followed this journey in your wake, admiring your courage and good humor, as you tried to stare down the unthinkable. I hope that your wonderful memories of Drew will serve as a blessing in the difficult days ahead, and that the abundant love shown to you by your family and friends will provide some comfort as you struggle to make sense of it all. May G-d be with you.

 
At 12:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are devastated by your loss. We were so sure that Drew would win. We are hurting with you. Drew is safe at home and without anymore pain. It is those left behind that have the hard job. Philippians 3:14 "I strain to reach the end of the race and receive the prize for which God is calling us up to heaven because of what Christ Jesus did for us." II Timothy 4:7 "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith." Peace be with you. Amen.

 
At 12:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My heart is with you...wishing you hope in the midst of this sorrow.
I light a candle to celebrate the times we knew, the life made richer by Drew. I light a candle to shatter the darkness, in a struggle to find comfort.
Love to you all, each and everyone. God Bless.

 
At 2:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jane and Boxley
Our thoughts and prayers are with you all at this very sad time.
Thanks for keeping us up-to-date via the blogg it has enabled us to be with you every moment during this very difficult journey you have all travelled.
Kind regards
Lynne, Peter, Sarah & David Cox (Melbourne)

 
At 5:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Jane and Boxley, Ben Missy and Mary Chandler, so sad to hear of Drew's passing (a private message on your email Jane)you all fought so hard with Drew our love to you all The Inglis family Melbourne

 
At 6:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our memories of Drew will last a lifetime... My deepest and loving sympathy to all.... May you be comforted in knowing how much your loved and find strength in knowing how much Drew was Loved....... I will be talking to you in my prayers.... I LOVE YOU ALL very deeply..... susie mccurry taylor, dan, brad, dj and kendall

 
At 6:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Team Llewellyn,

You fought the good fight. Drew battled with all he had. You all did your best against impossible odds. Your courage and strength in the midst of this evil disease was amazing. Words fail me in expressing our devastation at learning of his passing. You continue to be in our prayers. We love you...

Scott, Elaine, Abby, and Maggie Cox

 
At 7:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jane, Boxley, Benny and family,

Our thoughts are with you at this sad time, it was a hard fought battle and we are truely sorry for the loss of Drew. Be strong, and celebrate the great person that is Drew. May he rest in Peace.
Love to all, Simon Turner & The Turner Family

 
At 8:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Team Llewellyn,
I am so very sorry for your loss. Drew was so brave and strong, what an incredible battle he fought! I have followed the daily updates with all of his ups and downs, my heart and prayers go out to your family. May he now rest in peace.

 
At 8:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"This time of your departing shall be better to you than the time of your birth, for now all sickness, sorrow, and trouble shall depart from you forever..."

 
At 9:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Team Llewelyn, you all amaze me day after day. I've followed Drew's blog closely and along with you all, prayed and hoped for the best. I wish I could find the words to comfort you, but I am speechless. I offer all my love and prayers and support.

Deepest Sympathies,

Lora Denton (Mary's friend)

 
At 9:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boxley, Jane, Melissa, Dan, Mary, Wade, Ben, Ruth, Jordan, and Brian,

I share your grief and loss . Every night I would eagerly check the blog. I think we'll all remember with fondness, Drew's determination and good attitude "as he fought a good fight. And as he "finished his course", we will remember the strong support he had from family and friends. I'm looking forward to being with you this weekend as we celebrate Drew's life and faith.

Much love,
cousin Ellen

 
At 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drew's smile, laugh, good nature
will always be with me. Drew was a special, delightful young man.
Words can not express how wonderful your son is or help with your grief.
Our hearts are heavy for you.
Elizabeth Lynch Porter

 
At 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Team Llewellyn, there are no words to express the impact Drew's journey has had on so many people. He will forever be an inspiration, a comedian, a fighter, a team mate, and a hero. Thank you for letting us into your lives.

 
At 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thoughts and prayers are with Team Llewellyn as you cope with your loss. May God welcome Drew and continue to bless you all.
Take Care.

 
At 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our prayers and love are with all of you. God Bless.
Jim, Joy and John Clarkeson

 
At 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our thoughts are with you at this time. Our love to you all
Eric, Pauline and Ed Smith (Melbourne)

 
At 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Amanda Summerell

 
At 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Words cannot adequately express the inspiration that you have been to all of us. Our thoughts and hearts are with you.

Patti, Brian, Katie and Jackie

 
At 11:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although it's been a long time, my prayers and thoughts have been with your family over the past few weeks. I am so sorry for your loss and I know that Drew is now in a better place. Love lives on through memories forever.

Karen DiZio

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

Team Llewellyn-

I want you to know that our thoughts and prayers are with you. It was a complete honor to be able to follow in this journey with your family. Team Llewellyn is so strong and has been an example of family love and strength. God Bless you all.

Rachel, Stan and Kirby Pittman

 
At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers continue to be with all of you. God bless.

Al Strickland

 
At 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boxley, Jane & the Llewellyn Family... I'm lost for words! Being out of the 'Llewellyn' loop I wasn't aware of the going ons! After taking a few moments to look over this site, it's true to form. The 'Llewellyn' spirit, pictures, information and documentation, amazing as always! I thought my heart broke when I said "so-long" to Boxley, but this has topped it! My prayers are with the entire family! This includes the "new" one that I saw Mary holding...congratulations! Drew's presence may be missed, but he'll never be forgotten.

 
At 11:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boxley, Jane, Mary, Melissa, Ben, Ruth, Dan, Wade, Westbrook, & Jordan.

“PENNIES”

Remember this every time you pass that little penny in the parking lot. We usually think of it as Good Luck but here’s another version that makes me think of Pennies in another way:

I found a penny today
Just laying on the ground.
But it’s not just a penny,
This little coin I’ve found.
Found pennies come from Heaven, that’s what I’ve been told.
He said Angels toss them down.
They say when an Angel misses you, they toss a penny down –
Sometimes just to cheer you up,
To make a smile out of your frown.
So, don’t pass by that penny again especially when you’re feeling blue. That Angel is thinking of you. It may be a penny from heaven, that an Angel’s tossed to you.
author unknown

My mom and dad are with me as angels in many places as they toss a penny to me so often. I know whenever you see a penny now, you'll know Drew is thinking of you.

Drew is smiling now...in a beautiful place and free of pain. Team Llewellyn is an amazing family.
Drew, we will miss you but you'll live in our minds and hearts forever.
Our love and prayers are with you.
Cousin Pam & Charles

 
At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drew is an amazing person and he will be missed greatly but will never be foregotten. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Drew is safe at home without anymore pain.

 
At 11:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heaven just got one hell of a player to play on the same team as Michael.

Coach Dave

 
At 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jane, Boxley, and Family - Words cannot express our deep sympathy for your family, but also great joy in sharing in such a small part of Drew's fantastic life. He was a true fighter in all he did; you should be so proud of him and everything he has accomplished on the short time God shared him with you and the rest of us who were fortunate to have known him. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Sincerely, Don, Vicki, Kevin and David Trapp

 
At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to the Llewellyn family. Drew was a friend I shared soo many smiles with growing up, and I will always remember the great times we had together. He had, and I think those that grew up playing soccer with him would agree...the most amazing leg muscles. I remember when Drew, Willy and I would go workout at the gym together...Willy had chicken legs, I was still waiting on my leg hair to grow in, and we stood there in complete awe as Drew stacked on weight after weight on the squat machine. We all share memories of Drew that will not be forgotten, and those memories live forever.
Philip Laganis

 
At 12:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Team Llewellyn -

Drew was and continues to be an inspiration to me, and I'm sure there are many others who can say the same. His strength and bravery are something to be admired. I am so impressed with the way he fought this battle - with courage and conviction.

You are an amazing family, and my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Leslie, Joe, and Sam Netta

 
At 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You ALL have been and will continue to be in our prayers. Our lives have been truely enriched by Drew's presence. Thank you for sharing the courage of a wonderful man's journey.

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger J.C. said...

Llewellyn family:

I am so sad to hear of the final events in your struggle to beat the monster. But, I am inspired by your constant dedication. Drew will live on forever in the hearts of MANY. There are heavy hearts in all of Charlotte, much of the country and even the world. Drew, as well as your family, have touched endless lives and will continue to do so through the memories of Drew's life. I truly wish I could help celebrate Drew's life with you in Charlotte, but I promise to do so from here. May you find peace during this difficult time and know Drew is loved by many.. God bless Team Llewelyn today and always!!!!!!!! J.C.

 
At 11:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Jane, Boxley, Ben & family,
Our prayers are with you at this very sad time.Drew's strength and courage have been an inspiration to us all. We won't forget his truly wonderful spirit and the total love and support that you were able to surround him with.
Take care Team Llewellyn...may you find comfort in the times ahead.
Our love to you all.
The Venus Family (Melbourne)

 
At 9:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Jane and Boxley,
What a courageous battle your beautiful son Drew fought.We fondly remember watching him play '82Blue and South Meck soccer.He was so talented,strong,and very handsome,with a dazzling smile.We are sad not to be in Charlotte to honor Drew. All our Love and prayers. Linda&Evan Laganis West Chester,PA

 

Post a Comment

<< Home