, , , ,

View All Posts


June 07, 2007

A Year Later

It has been a year.

While this blog is Drew’s story, it is also about Team Llewellyn. Some of you keep coming back to this site - some to say good morning to Drew, some to re-read a few lines or a dozen pages, and some to check to see if anything is new. At least that is what we do, and what you tell us you do. The visit counter keeps going up. Maybe it's time for an update.

In case you couldn’t stay in touch, the family returned to schools, jobs, and volunteer work. Westbrook added great happiness in our initial saddest days, and Dylan’s birth doubled the chance to see how life renews itself. Mary’s second child is on the way for October, so the joys of first words and first steps will continue.

Ben bravely returned to school in Australia but is now back in the States and finished a good semester at Appalachian State. He brought his humor and enthusiasm home intact, with a noticeable dose of maturity and rugby skills. Mary and Wade shared Westbrook’s first year with us all, including a cake-smearing first birthday last month. Melissa and Dan hosted us for Thanksgiving, a family favorite holiday, followed by the birth of Dylan, who was almost born in the hospital parking lot. We turned Drew’s birthday into an event, inviting friends and family to donate blood and platelets to the local bloodbank which we hope to do annually in Drew’s honor.

Yes, we also did more hospitals. As if we hadn’t had enough in our months in Charlotte and Duke, Boxley did two tours at the Mayo Clinic for a pacemaker swap and an aortic graft in the fall, while Dan spent Christmas struggling with a rare reaction to medication. Jane stayed healthy but is engaged with Duke and CMC to bring cord blood collection to Charlotte. Her first visit back to Duke was emotional but worthwhile – they are excited about her passion to bring more attention and action to stem cell transplants.

Jordan is continuing her studies in Communications at ECU with a December 2007 graduation date in sight. We talk often via email, cell phone and text messages with lunches and visits on rugby fields as we can. She is and always will be an important member of TEAM LLEWELLYN. While this has been a painful year, we are all proud to have made it through - and made it through together.

As to our view of the year, we could all write a book. Unfortunately, The Grief Club is already taken.

Grief, says the book, is a club you join. Outsiders don’t fully understand, and the club has different rooms for different losses, since even inside the club, grief is hard to generalize. The toughest room is the one for those losing kids. The books say grief gets worse for a few years before it gets better. It doesn’t go away; it just becomes part of your life, which you manage as best you can. We manage grouchy moods and frequent tears and our loss of innocence day by day.

New babies are the best thing ever for the club members, and we have been lucky to have two cuties. Big smiles and lots of energy are contagious. Ben is a fabulous uncle, and he can’t wait for the little ones to walk and throw and start chasing him in the yard. The blogs are filled with images of great-grandparents holding the boys, grandmas feeding them and lullabying them to sleep, and those bright eyes when Mom and Dad come in the room. No grief prescription could be more potent, nor as well photographed. See the evidence at themetwo.blogspot.com and http://themethree.blogspot.com

The war losses and (especially as alumni) the Virginia Tech tragedy remind us daily of other families losing young adult children who are painfully joining the club. With our close family, the support of so many friends, and no ongoing financial, legal, or guilty aftermath that many families experience, we are somewhat blessed. Maybe we are not in the toughest room in the grief club.

In the coming weeks, we will gather at the Harris Y near our home on the sidelines of the practice field where we spent so many hours watching Drew and others practice and play. Drew did not want a cemetery plot, but we wanted a place to remember him. We proposed a simple bench to the Y staff and instead they are building a GameOn shelter for parents to sit for their long hours watching the kids practice and compete. Some families will have a Drew who stays later, and practices longer, juggling a ball on his foot for hours and pounding shots at his brother and dad. They are the really lucky ones.

Drew discussed going to the Y on that day last March when, after a few pains in his stomach, we all realized that the cancer had come back. He didn’t practice that day, but a small plaque will encourage other kids to do so. Stop by for a visit sometime to the Y next month, or to our house any time. He would like that.

10 Comments:

At 7:50 PM, Blogger Lora said...

I wish I had a better way with words, but I just wanted to say I'm here, still reading, and thinking about you and your family on this day and many more. Best Wishes,
Lora (Mary's friend)

 
At 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It took a minute for me to register that there was a new post today. I am so accustomed to seeing 100 Things About Drew at the top of the page, I have read it often. Thank you for your words today, we are thinking of you all. P.S. - I like the Charlotte Soccer Club logo.

 
At 11:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woke up this morning with tears running down my cheeks -offered up prayers for safe travel knowing everyone was headed to your house and asked the Lord to bless your gathering. There's bound to be lots of tears and smiles - how you talk about Drew and not have a funny memory? Thank you for sharing your lives with us - I always go to the Me2 and Me3 sites through the Game On. The Harris Y place will be really special. Love to all of you. dora

 
At 7:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love the llewellyns!

 
At 7:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Llewellyn's,
I come to your site quite a bit as Drew is on my mind often. I took care of Drew while I was having contractions just prior to having Maya (my first child). All I remember is how concerned Drew was about my well being despite how sick he was. He is truly an inspiration and a patient that I will never forget. Thanks for sharing him with us.

Love,
Kelsey Smith
Duke ABMT
Unit 9200

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Leslie said...

I think the idea of a GameOn shelter at the Y is a lovely one. I read that and got the biggest smile on my face, thinking of what a perfect memorial that would be.

 
At 9:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"sorrow doesn't last forever, but love does."
- I know the love you have for Drew, the love you have for each other and the love WE all have for all of you will ultimately overpower the bad. It's what has gotten you thru this first tough year and it will get thru the next.........you remain such huge inspirations in my life and Drew...................I love you bigtimer. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.
~amh

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger pruntyinmaryland said...

Boxley and Jane,
We (Bob and Ginny) heard about Drew via Dora Wallace several months back. Ever since, you all have been in our thoughts and prayers. We're sorry we did not get a chance to send our condolances sooner. Because we only knew the Llewellyn clan for a short time while living in the same neighborhood in Cary, we did not have the privilege of knowing Drew as he grew up. You all are an amazing family, and have turned a tragedy into such an inspiring cause to help others. Having lost other family members and friends to cancer and diseases that continue to need funding and research for cures, we support your continued campaign for research and will continue to do our part in providing donations to both the American Red Cross and the American Cancer Society and Foundation. You truly are an inspiring family. May God continue to give you comfort and strength.
Fondly,
Bob and Ginny

 
At 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems like yesterday when Drew was here. He'll live in our minds and hearts forever. Our Game On bracelet still shines and is questioned frequently. It is always good to hear from the Llewellyn family. Keep your spirits high. We love you all and enjoy the baby blogs. They are really growing!
Pam & Charles

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Hello Llewellyn Family-
I was on Llandis watch--each day hoping to read the news of her arrival--and I came to Game On for a visit. I think about you often, always meaning to send notes or cards or make comments, but never feel I have the right words. I have good intentions just horrible follow through. Please know that you are in my prayers on a regular basis. I have so many wonderful memories in your house and with your family. I read over and over the 100 Things so I can remember all the qualities to pray for God to develope in my boys. I will keep coming back to this blog. Thank you.

Rachel (Whitesell) Pittman

 

Post a Comment

<< Home