, , , ,

View All Posts


April 27, 2006

A day in the life

Pictures are worth more than words to capture a typical day in the life of the outpatient transplant patient.

We start our day in the Adult Bone Marrow Transplant clinic, a great building on the edge of Duke Hospital's North Campus.

Great staff, too (oh, er, that's Jordan pitching in...). The staff is very professional.
















We spend time in waiting rooms reading the old magazines. While the assortment is good and so far we have found only one magazine older than six years, we are fortunate that we seldom wait long for most procedures.
Drew has a direct line to his largest vein so many things can go in at once. And often he has many things - today, he got blood, steroids, potassium, magnesium, anti-nausea medicine, and fluids by lunchtime. His chest also has tape and three-color markings and a few holes and labels. Still refuses to wear the gown, though.



The Center has about 40 patients some mornings, plus new arrivals, and all the research activities. As always, we get a room with so many visitors always coming. This week we have had Melissa and Jordan and Ben and Brian and Jane and Boxley and expect Mary tomorrow if she isn't in labor. They like one of us at a time, worry when the numbers get to three or four, and even threw us out of the radiation area today when we kept being in the way. But the staff seem to like us when we change bandages and get ice and make everyone laugh.

The radiation area is cool for the visitors. Drew has to lie still for a lengthy set-up and about 10 seconds of radiation. He would sleep if he could - the lights are low and by mid afternoon he (and the visitors) are ready for a nap. A good way to end the day.

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's me again, I'm addicted to life, yes, yours. The photos and comentary are worthy of LIFE or 60 Minutues, or WHATEVER IS FAMOUS NOW. You are all so talented, intelligent, loving, caring, generous, compationate, and everything I havn't covered. I don't even know how to spell now..we're on the same long days and I'm not complaining because of U.
Sweet dreams,
Lynn, Erik, Phil, & Karl & the doggies

 
At 11:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, even on the other side of the world, I "almost" feel a part of this journey with you ... your descriptions, information and pictures are certainly a way for all of us to be kept WELL informed. Bearing in mind that the main player in this saga is Drew ! Thank you for the opportunity to feel so close to 'Team Llewellyn'. Warm greetings from downunder, Jill

 
At 7:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Team Llewellyn" has struck Durham... Thanks for all the updates... I'm on pins/needles each day to read about Drew and his daily activities.... WOW, I get exhausted just reading how much a "day" can hold.... Much Love and Peace to All...... Still waiting on that "Party" hugs and kisses, susie and family....

 
At 8:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robin and I anxiously await each update with hope and optimism. We know his CSC Blue roots are deeply planted and ready to fight. I suggest he wears cleats and shin guards through the radiation process. This way he can get a couple of "cracks" in every now and then if he needs to! Amazing to see the level of service, attention, and progress. Thanks so much for the web updates. FC

 
At 9:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing a snippet of team llewelyn's life with us, its awe inspiring! Much love to you Drew, we are all thinking of you, from downunder love The Inglis'

 
At 7:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's great to be able to keep up with Drew's progress. Call me dumb, but I can't seem to sign on with Gameon2 and have any place I do it accept it. They all say, "User Account not found."

 
At 7:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's great to be able to keep up with Drew's progress. Call me dumb, but I can't seem to sign on successfully with Gameon2 and have any place I do it accept it. They all say, "User Account not found." Where do I sign on to upload pics, e.g.? What am I missing? Scott C.

 
At 7:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pictures can be uploaded with the "gameon2" login and password by following the link to Drew's photo album (linked in two places on the right sidebar). Hope that helps!

We're all thinking of you Drew!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home