Something Soft and Something Cool
Day Two is coming to an end and Drew continues to amaze the medical team.First, he is the one initiating his daily walks (note: I said walks, not just one but many) and most importantly, he continues to eat. While most would wonder why is this so big (before completing chemo/radiation caregiver 101), the treatments that Drew has received causes a variety of side effects. One of the most common and very painful is mucosis - ulcers and sores that line the entire digestive tract, including the throat and mouth. They make it very difficult to swallow, let alone eat. By now, most transplant patients would be receiving all nurishments TPN (intravenous) - but NOT DREW.
The longer Drew can maintain his weight and handle food by mouth, the better. Avoiding TPN reduces his risk for infection and is less stress on the liver. So we continue with something soft, cool, pretty bland and nutritious. Well, nutritious is helpful but not a requirement. Boxley and I have become experts at milkshakes, romain noodles, angel hair pastas, and yes, those great FreezerPops that are really Koolaid in long plastic tubes. Let me also recommend the four-cheese egg souffle from Panera's - lots of calories and wonderful! Regardless, real food keeps Drew on the healthier side of the curve and that's exactly while he needs to be.
Drew's days continue to be pretty much the same. Sleep, eat some, walk, sleep, sleep, walk, eat a little more, sleep - get the picture. We've included with this post a few pictures Drew's point of view. He has always been a kid of few words, preferred to get it done on the field - thought you would enjoy his pe
rspective...he took these pictures. 
Labels: Post Transplant
9 Comments:
Hey, Team Llewellyn! Drew, sounds like you are a true champion. Glad to hear you are doing so well.
The only thing I could keep down during my last month of pregnancy was O'Charley's potato soup. Maybe it would work for Drew!
Your descriptive summaries of how Drew spends each moment of his day helps us all to feel closer to the "win". Every minute of every day is a "salute" to Drew.....on Sunday, it is a salute to you, Jane....masterfully the most awesome mom in the world. What inspiration, what hope and what discovery. Take care, as I know you can do. hugs, squeezes, Vikki
Loved your story about Wanda .. I've learnt so much from your informative "Layman" way with words! Thank you ... so what if the girl stem cells win Drew ... you'll be a well rounded, unique individual!
Drew you continue to amaze the medical professionals and us ... here comes that word again that I've used several times before .. INSPIRATIONAL !!
All the best from downunder, Jill Grimm
AMAZING is the word I think of.... Drew, Jane, Boxley... you all are AMAZING.... i eagerly await each day for word of Drew's recovery and each day I am amazed at what all, each of you have endured and the powerful "Will" Drew has to live.... there's alot out there in the world yet to be seen and yet to do, but I am confident "Drew" will be ahead of all of us to seek and find... hugs and kisses to all, susie
WOW! Seeing your home...DUH... through your eyes is awesome. You and your family are so unique. Not only making history in your progress but I bet you're making history with the most cards, most visitors, most impressive of all patients, and the most team spirited of all times. I'm sure all the doctors and nurses are in awe and love coming in to see you. TEAM LLEWELLYN is ahead of the game in many ways. You are a survivor! Keep the Llewellyn spirit! You are winning the game!! Go Drew! Wanda is right behind you. Lead her on to VICTORY. Show WB what his uncle is made of.
Love & Prayers to all,
Pam & Charles
Drew,
I love your photo's........thank you for sharing your amazing story and strength.
Team Llewwllyn WILL win.........
ELP
Hey guys! Jane, Jackie has been keeping me posted and I've been keeping up with Drew's progress almost daily. Hang in there. Drew, my son plays for the U-18 CSC team. They are playing Coastal Crew Sat. and CUFC on Sunday. Just wanted to let you know you are in our thoughts and prayers. I will give you update on the games this weekend. Hope our boys will do as well as you guys did when you played with CSC. I'm sure you can't wait until some good games come on TV. Please take care. Love and best wishes for you all. Oh, the baby is adorable!
Cyndi ELliott
Drew, you have simply amazed me!!! Everyone here at work reads the blog daily and our Oncology Board Certified Nurses are just in amazement at your determination & will power. I told them it was the LLewellyn stubborness and the "Chandler" class!!! LOL.. Thank you for sharing this amazing journey. I even share it with some of our "special" patients.
Keep on fighting and know you are in our prayers daily! Hope to see you soon.
Hugs & Kisses...
Christy & family
I haven't even met Drew before and I have been reading this blog. I am absolutely stunned that he has not had to go on TPN. That is unheard of. I am praying for the whole Llewellyn family!
Post a Comment
<< Home