Transplant - Birth day
10:45 a.m. Drew is deep in sleep. He has walked once today and had a bit of a milkshake and returned to bed. His mouth is very sore with ulcers, but he complains of nothing else but a lack of energy. His nurse (aptly named Dawn for this day) says his white blood cell count is almost zero. That’s good, as it means the radiation and chemo have done their job. We are now waiting for the little bags of stem cells from the cord bank located at the Bone Marrow clinic in a locked room behind the deli (hmmm…hope they get the right type of stems). Jane, Jordan, and Boxley are all on separate laptops on the Internet, only interrupted by cell phone messages and the occasional visitor. The six person medical team arrives outside the door, on their laptops, doing their 20 minute debrief of the nurse and a review of the data and today’s plan. They will enter the room "en masse" shortly.11:20 a.m. The doctor and physician’s assistant discuss Drew’s few complaints and good response to radiation. Their outlook is to see results from the transplant in 15-20 days. The doctor (aptly named Long) reminds us of the longer time stem cells sometimes take to engraft because they are younger and less mature, so not to get too nervous in the first two weeks. He also told Drew to enjoy the milkshakes because he will be TPN (total parentarel nutrition, or getting fed through the vein) in a few days.
They puzzle over his blue tongue, a strange and unknown side effect, until Drew explains by showing them his Extreme Grape Gatorade. Everyone gets a good laugh.
11:35 a.m. The stem cells arrive. One is from a B+ female donor and one is an 0+ male donor. (Drew was A+ until a few minutes ago – he will change to whichever one wins!) The stem cells are not particularly exciting to look at … watered-down ketchup would be the closest description. We complain about the lack of ceremony and one nurse breaks into the Beatle’s “you say it’s your birthday” for a few moments. Drew goes back to sleep, having been given Benadryl to avoid any allergic reaction.

11:50 a.m. The two stem cell bags have stickers which clearly prove they came from pediatrics – cartoons and animals – as well as the ID tags. We won’t know the donor names, but one donor is already three years old, and the girl’s bag had sports stickers, so that’s a good sign. The first bag, the boy’s, goes first. Drew is still pretty uninterested. He even disappears into the bathroom during the transplant (how rude of him) and we have to sit outside and wait. No wonder they don’t have stem cell transplants on “House” or “ER” or “Grey’s Anatomy” shows…boring. He feels a bit funny, so the drip is slowed down. The boy cells finish anticlimactically.
12:20 p.m. The girl cells are a little darker and there is less of it (67 ml vs. 92 ml). So the whole deal is about 5 ounces of red liquid. The girl bag has a surfer sticker on it and a sticker that says “grow cells grow”. She must be from California (actually it was collected in St. Louis).

1:17 p.m. Dawn squeezes a flushing liquid into the empty bag to make sure every stem cell runs down the tubing and into Drew.
The Benadryl wears off. We go for a walk.
Game on. Day 0.
Labels: Transplant
13 Comments:
I echo the sentiment: "Grow cells grow"!!!
Good luck, Team Llewelyn, I have been checking the blog all day for this update. Those babies have no idea how special they are. God bless them and you all!
We are cheering you on Drew! Today is your big day so keep on "keeping on". You are doing a great job and our love and prayers are with you.
Vivian & Tulloh
PS: The picture of you and Westbrook is great. Both of you are swell looking guys!
So lovely to see the pic of Drew and Westbrook, love and prayers from downunder love the Inglis
It's quite ironic Jane. Game on - Day 0 ...... "GAME ON" wristbands arrived today! Talked with Melissa and we're trying to get them out asap.
KEEP FIGHTING DREW AND TEAM LLEWELLYN. MANY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS TO YOU ALL!!!
The Caruso's
i WANT A WRIST BAND. bARBARA
Thank you so much for sharing this process with us through the detailed posts. I have learned so much and have had my eyes opened.
Drew, you have so many fans it is unbelievable. The prayer line has been flooded today, we're all thinking of you!!
yea...Drew - I want a wristband too :) ASAP MISTER!!!!
You're the biggest fighter of us all, D - keep on truckin' and know that when feel like you can't go anymore, we go on for you. You're not fighting alone. Love you always, I'm sure I'll post tomorrow ;) Until then.......
~alli
Prayers, love, positive thoughts, hugs from White Plains Advent Sunday School Class.
Had to smile when I saw Drew was an A+. One of my kids is an A+ also and my husband thought that was the grade the doctor had given him - he was so proud we had an A+ baby! B+, O+ - changes are nice. We are "willing" those cells to grow fast. Keep on floppin. Suck those milkshakes down. Much love, Dora
Heartfelt thoughts and prayers for a complete recovery are sent from VA. Your strength throughout your life will hold you in good stead!
Drew,
I think you'll totally be able to milk this new birthday thing...just think, two birtdays in one year. If you're REALLY good you can go for the two kids' birthdays also and have four!!!!!!!
West was fighting for you all day yesterday, so hard in fact he ended up wth 7 poopy diapers...he says hello, in his own way. See ya soon, Wade (Mary, and West)
What a day!!.... thanks for the hourly updates... i feel like i'm right there with you'all. Continued prayers your way, Keep the Faith.... hugs, susie and family
I went to high school with Mary and I have been praying for Drew since I heard the news. I actually make those IV drugs (TPN, chemo, antibiotics, etc.) for a living. I never really think about the people on the receiving end of the products I make, until I read something like this. I am really glad that the transplant went well, and if I ever make have to make his TPN, just remember it was made with special love and care. Keep fighting, and good luck!
Post a Comment
<< Home