, , , ,

View All Posts


April 12, 2006

Fighting, suffering, and managing - the verbs of disease


Boxley here: It's funny how we MANAGE diabetes, SUFFER heart attacks, and FIGHT cancer. I now understand now why you consider cancer to be a fight. There are big battles, explosions, lulls, victories, counter-attacks, and lots of waiting.

Drew's cancer attacked again this week, only 11 days after the last drop of chemo this round. We are now in a race, as his doctor describes it, to get a transplant of bone marrow or stem cells as quickly as possible. We are waiting now for word on the matching of his siblings (better than 50/50) or a match with an unrelated donor (reasonable) or the match of cord blood (complicated). We are also waiting on one sibling to give birth (any day) and another to learn if she has twins coming in November (see future ultrasound posting when it arrives). And we are waiting to see if the chemo works this time, and for how long. Fighting, and waiting.

We have suffered at least one explosion. Imagine during this process someone calling my wife and saying, "er, about telling you that Duke is approved for your insurance? Well, we were kidding." It didn't go quite that way, but the details don't matter. The explosion that occurred reverberated through the halls of at least one major health insurer (and one computer company) before the error was cleared up and we are still on schedule.

Our plan remains to get a bone marrow transplant as soon as possible for Drew - maybe as early as the first of May. We will keep you informed.

Many have asked about being a donor. See the link to the National Bone Marrow Donor site on the right side of our blog's home page. Registering is painless, getting matched is easier than giving blood, and your small chance of saving a life someday would be memorable. Some places are free, and some ask for a small donation to cover costs. You probably couldn't do it in time for Drew this round, but you never know what might happen.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 10:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As always, you are in our prayers. I am on the NBM List. I wish I could be a match. You all are constantly in our thoughts and prayers.

 
At 1:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Verbs of the day: KICK, BEAT, SLAUGHTER....GAME ON. Sweetie, hang in there --- use every verb you can think of. Meanwhile prayers, hugs and healing thoughts (and a MATCH)are coming your way.

 
At 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guys, I tried the bone marrow donor connection and it says I am too old. I am sure there are still a few body parts that are useful however. Hang in there Drew, wrap yourself in the love that everyone is sending you and use that to keep your spirit strong. And if the stupid jokes I send you are a little much tell me to back off. Love Barbara

 
At 7:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Withrow Family here hanging on every word.I am also on the NBM List. I wish that I also could be a match. Although, you may not want mine because Drew may age quicker with mine*>)
You know to give us a list of things to do and we will do them.
Love,
Bruce, Libby, Rich, and Carrie
Corbin and Spencer
x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0xx0x0x0

 
At 12:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On my knees and praying - it's hard for it not to be "Please God - Perform a miracle and make it all go away -- rather than trusting that all things work to the good of them that love the Lord". You are so loved and precious to so many. God bless all of you richly today and in the days to come. Peace! Dora

 
At 1:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my favorite Drew...
Its Alli here - just got done talking to Will Clark and we decided that you're gonna make it. you are - no excuses ok?!?!! ;) Will called you his "strong man" and i just couldn't agree more. i hope you know how much we all look up to you, love you, and are fighting this battle with you. I'm about to register and by God i better be a match - get thru this day, and then we'll fight the next when it comes - one day at a time. i love you, we love you.
alli (your favorite girl soccer player...i used to be able to beat you, pretty sure you would whoop me now ;) )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home